Pierre‐Yves Bournerias is winemaker at Institut Oenologique de Champagne, where he has advised around 30 Champagne producers since 1990. This includes sample analysis at laboratories, tasting at all stages, including blending tasting to build the "cuvées", as well as description tastings to enrich presentation brochures and websites for some customers. He works with both small and large Champagne wineries from harvest until the release of bottles to market. In addition, Bournerias is in charge of the development of Institut Oenologique de Champagne in Loire Valley and Jura, where he is in contact with the big wineries of each area.
Bournerias is looking after export distributors in England, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, India, Japan, USA, Australia & New Zealand, and travels in other countries on a sparkling wine consultancy basis
(England, Morocco, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Japan and Serbia).
He also judges for many local and international wine competitions. He has judged at the IWSC for 15 years, as well as Mondial de Bruxelles (11 years), Chardonnay du Monde (14 years), Effervescents du Monde (9 years), Pinot Noir du Monde Swizerland, and International Chardonnay Challenge NZ.
Bournerias gives lectures about sparkling winemaking and tasting, and is involved in a live radio show about terroir, wine and food every Sunday morning on a local radio station covering four French provinces.
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the greatest international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines