Spirit Communicator Of The Year 2018 nominations
|Nominations open||27th November 2017 - 16th March 2018|
Potential Spirit Communicators must work in one or more of the following:
- Publishing (books, reviews, biographies and autobiographies
- Journalism (specialist press, special feature collections, newspaper, magazine and digest articles)
- Broadcasting - Radio, television and film (writing, presenting, producing and directing)
- Online (social media, blogging, website)
- Wine consumer education
Potential Spirit Communicators will have probably spent many years of their professional life associated with spirits - although only their promotional work or special projects from the last year (2017) will be considered for the 2018 trophy.
We will be collecting nominations from people within the spirits industry until the 31st January 2018. Nominees will then be sent a form asking them for more information about themselves and why they should win. (Nominees do not have to provide information, but if they do not, they cannot be considered). A panel of experts in the field will discuss the candidates and decide on a winner.
Previous winners include Olivier Ward and Alice Lascelles.
The winner will be invited to a tasting at the IWSC Spirits Tastings at Vintners Hall, London, in July 2018 (date tbc).
Sponsored by Chivas Brothers
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the greatest international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines