IWSC Announces Wine Communicator of the YearThe International Wine and Spirit Competition Announces Wine Communicator of the Year 2016 – Joe Wadsack
The International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC) reveals the winner for its ‘Wine Communicator of the Year 2016’ award, which is sponsored by Italian wine fair, Vinitaly. The annual trophy which recognises an individual for their exceptional contribution towards increasing consumer awareness of wine, is this year awarded to broadcaster and consultant, Joe Wadsack. Having won the award in 2005, Joe is the very first recipient to receive the accolade twice.
The winner of the award is judged on criteria across their publishing, journalistic, broadcasting and social media presence as well as their efforts towards wine consumer education. Judges decided to award the prestigious IWSC title to Joe because of his passion and energy which accompanies his rich and varied career. His experience spans writing for The Sunday Express, Red magazine and appearances on TV Shows such as BBC2’s Food & Drink with Tom Kerridge, Great Food Live, Saturday Kitchen, Ladette to Lady and Richard and Judy - where he co-authored their hugely successful Richard and Judy Wine Guide. Over recent years, Joe has acted as a consultant to multiple wine trade companies as well as hosting tastings across the globe.
Winning the prestigious award twice makes IWSC history and Joe takes his place on the prestigious hall of fame alongside journalist, author and broadcaster Jane Parkinson, wine critic Jancis Robinson MW and wine writer and presenter Olly Smith.
IWSC Panel Judge, Nicky Forrest, says, ‘Joe has a talent that is almost beyond genius. He harnesses an encyclopaedic wine memory together with an unfettered joy and passion. You can’t help but be swept along by him. His communicator skills lie in his electric delivery and total immersion in his subject.’
Fellow judge, Xavier Rousset MS commented, ‘Joe makes wine accessible to consumers with his great sense of humour, energy, passion and unstoppable enthusiasm.’
Joe Wadsack says, ‘I am absolutely delighted to receive this prestigious award and to be recognised by the IWSC competition which is highly respected throughout the global drinks industry. I am very much looking forward to taking my place once again on such an esteemed roll of honour and to continue to communicate my passion for wine.’
Sponsored by Vinitaly, the award will be officially presented at this year’s fair which takes place in Verona, from 10th-13th April. This year, Vinitaly will celebrate their 50th anniversary, to celebrate, Joe Wadsack will be hosting a food and wine masterclass on Sunday 10th April at 11;30am at Tasting Express. Book tickets to the tasting here.
Congratulations to the 2016 shortlist:
Sarah-Jane Evans MW
The Spirit Communicator of the Year sponsored by Chivas Brothers is to be announced later in the year.
Flavours of New Zealand 2019
Etc Venues County Hall Belvedere Rd London SE1 7PBAdd to Calendar
Wine Paris 2019
Paris Expo Porte de Versailles - Halls 4 and 7.1 1 Place de la Porte de Versailles 75015 Paris - FranceAdd to Calendar
Wines of Portugal Grand Tasting 2019
Lindley Hall Everton Street London SW1P 2QWAdd to Calendar
Düsseldorf, GermanyAdd to Calendar
- “As a start-up brand you focus hard on achieving credibility and creating awareness. Winning Gold Outstanding and the Mezcal Trophy provided us with a level of credibility and exposure that we simply could not have achieved on our own. The awards helped secure key listings in Harvery Nichols and Selfridges and certainly played a significant part in opening up dialogue with potential U.S importers and ultimately securing one. I thought hard about which competition to enter and what the return on that investment would be. I can say with absolute confidence that the IWSC was worth every penny.”David ShepherdFounder & Director, Corte Vetusto
- “IWSC is a very important competition to us in terms of showing consumers our quality. It's one of the competitions that we definitely enter on a yearly basis.”Ian ChangMaster Blender, Kavalan Distillery
- “Out of all of the awards, the IWSC is probably the most prestigious and most honest awards. You choose your judges very well and they're very good, honest, decent people. They do it for the love of the industry.”Sukhinder SinghMD, The Whisky Exchange
- “The IWSC is a very prestigious competition. The prestige is a great thing to be able to communicate to our customers who have great respect for it.”David PorterOperations & Buying, Lea & Sandeman
- “The IWSC represents everything, without a doubt. There's no better competition in the world where you can judge yourself not just against your countrymen but against the rest of the world.”Andy AndersonWinemaker, Takapoto Estate
- “Fantastic company and fantastic award . . . In the wine industry, having an award like this is such an accolade.”Claire GriffithsCommercial Director, Vina Cono Sur
- “It's one of the greatest international awards you can get. It's similar to an Oscar, if you like.”Lenz MoserWinemaker, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Company
- “Because of the number of international judges that are tasting the wines and the number of wines that are being entered, it’s a great privilege for us to receive this award. The history of the competition, the standing that it has amongst the international wine world and certainly amongst one’s peers, to be able to get an award at the IWSC means a lot. There are a lot of competitions around the world – this probably represents the top award you could get as a winemaker.”Gary & Kathy JordanWinemakers, Jordan Wine Estate
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines