IWSC 2017 President
"Chris Blandy was born on the island of Madeira in 1979. As was the case with many English families living abroad, Chris studied in England from prep school up to university. After achieving a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, he joined the marketing department at the Symington Family Estate in Porto for a 2 year period, focusing on the Madeira wine business.
Chris then moved to Washington DC and worked at the Willard Inter Continental Hotel, ending his 2 year spell there as the hotel’s diplomatic liaison manager, dealing with the visiting foreign dignitaries.
- “When we win those trophies, people around the world listen. They are serious awards. The opportunity to sell more expensive wines with more personality in independents and the on-trade has never been greater.”Neil McGuiganCEO, Australian Vintage, 2015 IWSC President
- “It’s a great honour to win especially as nowadays people are focusing on the quality not just the numbers, so it does mean a huge amount getting recognition from an institution as well sought after as the IWSC.”Chris BlandyOwner, Blandy's Wines
- “This will be a recognition that will help in building the brand further, and building its prestige around the world.”Victor FuentesDirector General, El Coto de Rioja S.A
- “The IWSC is a well renowned, well looked up to standard and a symbol of premium products so it’s a great achievement to win any award.”Andrea FreeboroughCellar Master, Nederburg Wines
- “The competition and the way it’s judged is outstanding. The wines go through the ringer so if you win any medal you should be very happy. The banquet night is something that all wine makers from around the world want to attend, so to come here is fantastic!”Neil McGuiganCEO, Australian Vintage, 2015 IWSC President